Thursday 19 May 2016

NY American Grill: Princes Square (Glasgow)

After recently moving to Glasgow three weeks ago, I'm a newbie when it comes to knowing the best places to eat out, the best cafes with the most delicious hot chocolate, the best cocktail bars, and most importantly, the best places to shop.

Luckily for me, Glasgow's first ever Style Mile Shopping Festival (25 - 30 May), happened to launch within the first week of residing in the city. With over 1,500 shops, Glasgow is one of the UK's best places to shop and is recognised across the nation as a shopper's paradise - although I've never pictured a paradise which rains so much!

Some of the biggest brands and major High Street retailers can be found on the city's 'Style Mile' - the square mile in the centre of Glasgow housing a vast selection of shopping outlets including Buchanan Galleries, Princes Square, St Enoch Centre, Argyll Arcade, John Lewis, and House of Fraser.

To anyone who loves a good day out splurging in the shops, an important factor to any shopping spree is eating on the job. Partial to a shopping trip, turned food frenzy with a side of sophisticated drinks, choosing the best place to eat out is vital to rounding up a successful day shopping.

So, when I was invited along to try out one of the restaurants in Princes Square participating in the Glasgow Style Mile Shopping Festival,  which boasts an abundance of divine food and drink outlets, there was one place I just had to visit...NY American Grill. A barbecue sauce lover and all round American cuisine fan, I quickly skimmed over the menu to ensure there was something which took my fancy. Waiter, I'll take the menu.

Starting off our evening my boss, my colleague and I got stuck into the cocktail menu, checking out the funky drinks the restaurant had to offer. With something to suit all tastes, this decision was a difficult one to make, sweet or savoury, gin or vodka, the choices were unlimited. The best part, they have special deals on some nights, and this particular night, a selection of cocktails were half price, score.

Opting for a Salt or Sweet?, my colleague, Leanne, ordered her candy floss inspired cocktail, the Carolina Candy, whilst Becky chose a sophisticated rose petal cocktail, Rose's really smell like...
I must admit, seeing the cocktails arriving at the table I would have had some serious cocktail envy had they not been placed directly in front of me. 

With food now fundamentally on our minds, we nestled our head into the menu, sipping on gin and juice.
For starters we opted for the melted cheese and chive potato skins accompanied with sour cream dip, and the Florida-style coconut shrimp - jumbo shrimps coated in a coconut tempura batter served with a mango chilli dip. The shrimp was unbelievably juicy, and much, much larger than I had anticipated. The batter melted in my mouth, as did the shrimp, and the mild mango chilli dip really complimented the softer coconut batter. Leanne's melted cheese and chive potato skins looked ridiculously cheesy, and definitely got the seal of approval from her.
Obviously mains were a difficult choice, I deliberated between tacos, an American style pulled pork sandwich, Southern fried chicken and a hot dog...After much deliberation, I decided on The Big Apple hot dog, a smokey dog topped with American cheese, smoked bacon, Carolina bbq pulled pork and crispy onions. Leanne settled on her veggie burger with chipotle mayonnaise, and Becky decided on The Big Cheese - a delicious cheeseburger. With mac and cheese playing on all of our minds we decided it would only be fair to indulge in a wee side order of the cheesy-gooeyness. All of the dishes were served with skinny fries which suited me perfectly.
Whilst having a nosy around he restaurant, which is much bigger than I had originally anticipated, I came across a number of NYC inspired interiors. The booth chairs are very common to those found in traditional American diners, and the long bar filled with spirits reminded me of some of the bigger, more mainstream bars I visited when I visited the Big Apple last year. The restaurant was cosy, and didn't feel like it was situated within a shopping centre. The healthy choice on the cocktail menu made the eatery an easy choice for somewhere I would now probably easily recommend for cocktails with my girl friends when they come to visit for a spot of shopping.
After dinner we had time for one last round of drinks, this time sampling You're Average-ation and the Dip Dab martini. Again, good choices. Overall my experience at NY American Grill situated in Prices Square shopping centre was brilliant. From the quirky drinks menu to the extensive, but well thought out food menu, the eatery was a definite hit with me and will be somewhere I'll definitely be returning wether that be during or after the Glasgow Style Mile Shopping Festival. 
The restaurant is running a 20% off deal on the a la carte menu throughout the festival period when you quote "Style Mile"and register a discount card. This is subject to a maximum table of six people. As well as the MY American Grill, there are many other restaurants participating in the event throughout Princes Square, Buchanan Galleries and the St Enoch centre. Be sure to check out the website for the full details. There are also a number of shopping offers and numerous events taking place throughout the festival so be sure to get involved when you can!

  For Now...

Just Julia



*I was gifted a £100 voucher to spend by Princes Square on food and drink within the centre.


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Just Julia

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig